HEALTHY HEART WITH REVOLVED SIDE ANGLE POSE
There is no need to explain the importance of a healthy heart for us. How we can make our heart healthy by practicing Privritta Parsvakonasana. This pose comes from parivrtta meaning revolved, parsva meaning side, kona meaning angle and asana meaning posture. The horizontal posture with proper base of support improves strength and endurance of the Cardiac muscle. Allow the conduction system of the heart to adapt to the posture by maintaining for 10 long breaths. Here is the posture called Parivritta Parsvakonasana means revolved side angle pose for such changes in the Heart. This is the science as integrative medicine behind the ancient technique, yoga asana (posture).
- Twist the spine only from the abdomen to direct the abdominal pressure towards the thoracic region. This increases the intra thoracic pressure and encourages the conduction system (mechanical adjustment) of the cardiac muscle.
- Support the ribcage from clavicle to diaphragm level by aligning the shoulders at 900 in one line.
- Twist the neck to initiate the carotid bodies and observe the increased heart rate followed by reversal in few breaths.
- Right knee is bent to allow the thigh support for lower back and free-up the diaphragm.
All these allow the better deep breath and the cardiac cycle.
- It is the best pose for the cardiac muscle issues like arrhythmia, grade-1 coronary blockage (Coronary Artery Disease) and the initial silent myocardial infarction (MI). People can notice the gradual decline in daily stress too.
- Proper counter of shoulders in final posture for 10 breaths allows the rhythmic breathing in other resting postures too.
- It is well shown that the ribcage is stretched to neutral because of fixation of left palm on the ground beside the right foot. Hence the mechanoreceptors helps in the neural regulation of respiration. This prevents the dyspnea or breathlessness and other allergic reactions in future. This is the resistance against the external environment. Hence best pose for asthma, bronchitis, nasal allergy and even pneumonia.
- Since the abdominal region is getting twist and less movements, the adrenal function will be more and leads to increased digestive fire and later on regularization (adaptation).
- Duration of Inhalation and Exhalation must be comfortably longer in 3 days
- Depp breathing as yogic technique in erect pose.
- Effortless performance of the pose within 3 days.
- Less palpitations or heart fluctuations within 3 days.
- Less anxiety or depression.
- More mindfulness within 3 days.
Note: Visit a medical clinic to rule out your observations.
Contra-Indications and Precautions:
- Breathlessness: If the posture is difficult to maintain for 10 breaths person can come back to samathiti after 5 breaths. If not, bent to the same side is preferable than revolved which is “Parvakonasana”.
- Knee pain: major problems like ACL injury, (Anterior Cruciate Ligament), Osteo-Arthritis of knee and hip needs bolster support (as in Iyengar yoga).
- Parkinsons Disease: difficult to perform but gives maximum benefits. Hence practice with wall or pillar support at pelvis (as in Iyengar yoga).
- Stress: Never do physical practices in intense stress. But Anxiety or Depression can be easily handles by Hypothalamo-Pituitary-Adrenal (HPA) axis with this twisting pose regularly.
- Digestion: Never perform with filled stomach and bowels. Take time for empty and then experience the regularization of hunger and excretory functions.
2 rounds on each side early morning with sunrise gives all physical benefits
3 rounds on each side with sunset gives all psychological benefits
Usage in daily activities like;
- Pickup things on the floor from chair level
- Tying lays of own opposite shoe
- Watering the plants or play with kids, etc.,